Passports & visas

Lea este articulo en español

Please take time to review the information below about passport and visa requirements, as well as more specifics on the documentation non-U.S. citizens may need before their trip.


A passport is required for all EF Educational Tours. We recommend applying for a passport as soon as you enroll on a tour, as it can take up to 12 weeks to process. U.S. citizens traveling abroad must bring a passport that is valid for at least six months after the tour’s return and has at least three blank pages.

Once you have received your passport, please confirm your passport information to EF by logging in and visiting your 
“My Tours” page. (This information is required by 110 days before your tour departs.)

Make sure that the first, middle, and last name on your EF account matches your passport letter for letter, including punctuation and spacing. We’ll use this information when purchasing your flights, and airlines may not permit passengers to board if their ticket does not match their passport exactly. Name changes after 110 days prior to departure carry a minimum $200 fee up to the cost of a new ticket.

Group Leaders can 
log in to their account to keep tabs on travelers’ passport information. In addition, we recommend that all Group Leaders collect a photocopy of each traveler’s passport to verify that it has been signed and to double check that the name on the passport exactly matches the name in our records.

For more information, please visit the 
U.S. government passport website. You can also live chat with our Traveler Support team here on our site (click on the “EF” icon in the bottom-right corner of your screen) or reach them by phone at 800-665-5364.



Depending on where you’re traveling or your citizenship, you may need a visa for your tour. Because visa applications must be personally completed by the applicant, all travelers must obtain their own visas, both for destinations they are visiting and those they are passing through. Depending on the country, you can apply for an electronic visa, a paper visa, or an eTA (Electronic Travel Authorization). Please see more details below.

Electronic visa

Many destinations, like Cambodia and Vietnam, allow for travelers to apply for an eVisa. We recommend using Sherpa for visa processing for your destination as applicable.

Paper visa

Some destinations, like mainland China, require a paper visa for entry. For these destinations, we recommend using Visa Central, which for these destinations, which gives a discount to EF travelers for visa processing.

Electronic Travel Authorization

An Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is necessary for countries like Australia or New Zealand. The eTA is an online application completed using the specific country’s government website. Please visit the applicable government website directly to submit your application.

The European Travel Information and Authorization System (ETIAS)

Starting in 2024, travelers whose tour visits any country in the United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland) or who transit through an airport in the United Kingdom may be required to apply online for an Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA). Please check your Entry Requirements Tool and the UK’s website for updates. The European Union was also scheduled to require a similar authorization (called ETIAS) in 2024, but launch of this travel authorization has now been delayed until 2025. Please refer to the European Union's official ETIAS website for more information.

Please note: We don’t recommend beginning the visa application process until your tour itinerary is confirmed, which happens at approximately 70 days before your scheduled departure date.

Please visit for the most up-to-date requirements.

Requirements for non-U.S. citizens

All travelers are responsible for obtaining the necessary visas and/or travel documents for all locations on their tour. Once the tour itinerary is confirmed at approximately 70 days before departure, non-U.S. citizens should visit Sherpa, contact Visa Central, or contact the embassies or consulates of all locations they will be visiting and traveling through to verify which documents are required. If proof of insurance coverage is required, travelers who purchased insurance through EF should contact Traveler Support to obtain this documentation.

Please note: Visa requirements do apply even if travelers only have a short layover or a stop at the airport in a particular destination. Travelers should inquire at relevant embassies and/or consulates two weeks before departure to ensure that requirements haven’t changed. For instance, if you are flying to Madrid via Frankfurt, check with both the German and Spanish embassies.

For a list of embassies and consulates in the United States, visit

The embassies and/or consulates of your destinations may require that you submit documentation from EF verifying your travel plans. If so, our Traveler Support team can provide a sample template. Contact them via live chat here on our site (click on the “EF” icon in the bottom-right corner of your screen) or by calling 800-665-5364.